Saturday, January 7, 2012

Berkeley performance space and editing tedium

Performed rape exam hospital scene at opening of performance space in berkeley. I think I was a little too emotional for the material but who cares. The important thing is that I now have a weekly space to try out my work on a small audience. I'm certain that I don't want feedback from any audience members except mwd. I've started reading the edited parts of the piece to mwd and she is not pleased. She feels like a lot of my voice has been lost in the edits. So now we are going through the painstakingly tedious process of going back through the edits and reverting them to their original state. Plus we are going through the parts that I haven't edited and I am letting mwd call the shots as to what needs changing. I thought that I was doing a great job editing. I guess I was wrong. Makes me really appreciate the value in finding a good editor. Someone can really change your piece for the worst if you're not judicious! But mwd has great instincts and is very well read. So I trust her decisions on what writing of mine need to stay, go, or be changed. And if I don't, I say something and veto the changes. I hope this part goes quickly though because I have a TON of memorizing and blocking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment