Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kickstarter video and rewards ready to go...nowhere

Thank god for mwd. She helped me come up with a "speech" for my kickstarter video and then we filmed it on my digital camera in three takes. It's really simple and straightforward. No fanciness, just the truth and the facts. I also came up with a slogan for waterbottles and tote bags: rape is bad. We researched how much it would cost to make these items and also decided to offer signed copies of the manuscript, and free tickets to the workshop. We were all ready to send away for the totebags and waterbottles but then I had this feeling that I should look into one thing: making sure that donations that people gave were tax deductible. Amanda believed that they were but I wanted to double check before giving the absolute green light...
Kickstarter donations are not tax deductible.
This doesn't work for the project at all because several of the potential donors have told me that it was important that their donations be tax deductible.
So kickstarter doesn't work at all! Bah! So frustrating and such a waste of time. I am kicking myself for not double-checking on this before doing all the prep work. Mwd suggested that we move the campaign over to Indie-go-go, another crowdshare fundraising platform. Donations on here ARE tax-deductible and this organization partners with my fiscal sponsor, Fractured Atlas. I've thought it over and I simply don't have time to do this right now. I will have to wait until after the workshop to fundraise and trust Mwd when she says she is still cool with working on spec.

No comments:

Post a Comment